As a vegetarian of many years, I have heard this all too often, “How do you get your proteins? How do you get your iron?”. And all I could say was, “Well…as a vegetarian, you can get all sorts of nutrients and minerals in a nice vegetable diet”. But I realized that its still possible to be short of elements like iron, protien and omega 3 because we just don’t try out varied vegetarian food that can offer us all the nutrients that the body needs. So, I decided to investigate and start consuming some supplements along side my regular diet. So, here are my picks :
Spirulina is the Richest Whole Food Source Found in Nature
• A highly nutritious, microscopic freshwater plant.
• The superfood with over 100 nutrients, more than any other plant, grain or herb.
• Widely used as a food supplement for maintaining health, energy, weight loss and cleansing programs.
• Protein – 60-70% of its weight. 300% more protein than fish, meat or poultry, with no cholesterol.
• Iron – 58x richer than spinach in bi-available iron.
• Vitamin B12 – Natures richest source. Often lacking in a vegetarian diet.
• Chlorophyll – 2x richer than barley grass or wheatgrass.
• Anti-oxidants – 25x richer in beta-carotene than carrot and 3x richer in Vitamin E than wheatgerm.
• Spirulina assists weight loss by curbing appetite naturally while supplying a full range of nutrients needed for a balanced diet.
• As an unrefined wholefood, spirulina is absorbed up to x16 more effectively than synthetic multi-vitamin and mineral supplements.
There is no shortage of iron in plant foods. Pulses (peas, beans and lentils) and soya bean products (such as soya milk and tofu) provide an excellent source of iron. As do dark green leafy vegetables (such as broccoli, pak choy and watercress), wholegrains (such as wholemeal bread, brown rice and wholemeal pasta), dried fruits (raisins, prunes, apricots and figs) black treacle and plain dark chocolate. However iron is not easily absorbed by the human body and many foods that are rich in iron do also contain iron absorption inhibitors such as Phytate, Polyphenols, Tannins, Calcium or Oxalic Acid.
In fact the latest figures form the Department of Health show that as many as 91% of women aged 16 – 64 do not get their RDA of iron from their diets. One third of all women and two in five under the age of 34 have iron intakes so low that it affects their health. If you are eating plenty of iron-rich foods but experience symptoms of iron deficiency such as fatigue you may want to consider supplementing your diet with iron.
Spatone is simply iron-rich water straight from the source (Snowdonia, Wales). The box from your nearest pharmacist comes with many sachets which provides with 25mg of ferrous sulfate (5mg of Iron). It’s 100% natural and provides one with the daily required iron intake.
Spatone and Spatone Apple are both suitable for Vegetarians, approved by the UK Vegetarian Society.
Flax Seed Oil contains omega-6 and omega-9 essential fatty acids, B vitamins, potassium, lecithin, magnesium, fiber, protein, and zinc and also provides approximately 50% more omega-3 oils than what you could get from taking fish oil.
Some nutritionists, researchers, and scientists believe that it could be the most important health-promoting supplement next to a multi-vitamin. Nearly every system in the body can benefit from flax seed oil’s natural properties, including the cardiovascular system, immune system, circulatory system, reproductive system, nervous system, as well as joints.
Instant Natural Protein Powder is made from Isolated Soy Protein which is easily digested and absorbed. It is low in fat, contains no animal products and is free from artificial additives. Instant Natural Protein Powder is suitable for vegetarians, vegans, those with milk or egg allergies, body builders, people trying to lose weight and those convalescing who cannot eat solid food. Instant Natural Protein powder has no discernable taste and so is suitable for use in milkshakes, soups, broths, gravies, stews, meat loaves and patties where the nutritional quality of foods to be enhanced.
So, there you go. 4 discoveries over the last few days. Once I have had some experience with these, I shall get back to you all with a verdict. I am feeling healthy already !
Information on the highlighted products from: